- Barcelona, the second largest city in Spain with nearly two million people, is the capital of the Autonomous Community of Catalunya.
- Visitors enjoy Barcelona's Mediterranean climate, as well as festivals, Carnival and the annual street party La Merce.
- Evidence suggests that the Laietani were the earliest settlers, in the 3rd century BC.
- Antoni Gaudi's Sagrada Família is one of the most recognisable structures in the world. Gaudi commenced work on the project in 1883 and it is not expected to be completed until 2026 at the earliest. On completion, it will be the tallest church in the world, at an estimated 172 metres.
- Barcelona is a cosmopolitan and bilingual city. Almost three-quarters of the population speak and read Catalan as well as Spanish.
- Public signs, official documents and even newspapers are written in both Spanish and Catalan.
- School A to Z features links to third-party websites and resources. We are not responsible for the content of external sites.
This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.
Doing it by the book
As a parent it's only natural to want to help your child, but when it comes to homework and study, the completed work should be theirs.
Here are some important points to remember to ensure your child is following good practice for a lifetime of learning.