Bacon and leek quiche
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek
- 220g shortcut bacon (rind removed)
- 5 large eggs
- 125mL thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 110g grated tasty cheese
This dish contains high-fat dairy and is really energy dense. School A to Z nutrition expert
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook onion until softened but not brown.
- Add the sliced leek and then the bacon.
- Stir occasionally until lightly browned (about five minutes) then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk ingredients together until well combined.
- Place the pastry into a buttered and floured tart mould, or you could use a muffin tin to make individual quiches.
- Sprinkle cooled bacon and onion mixture over the pastry base.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Gently pour egg mixture over the pastry cases.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until quiche is set and lightly browned.
- This dish can also be made in advance and frozen. A chilled or frozen drink with your child's lunch can keep the quiche fresh until lunch time.
You may already know Manu Feildel as one of the most popular and entertaining chefs on Network Ten's Ready Steady Cook. Manu was probably destined to become a great chef, following in the footsteps of his father, grandfather and even great-grandfather. Yet as a child, Manu saw his future on the stage rather than in the kitchen and at just 13 years he joined an amateur circus school.
By 15 however, he had had enough with clowning around and started as an apprentice in his father's restaurant.
Since then Manu has worked his way up through many famous London restaurants before becoming the head chef at Bilson's. Manu has been awarded the prestigious Good Food Guide 'three hats' for the second year running.
Between entertaining, fine dining and his own young family, Manu certainly has the right ingredients to help in our search for the perfect lunch box.
This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.